Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Forums are in read-only mode while restoration work continues. The great news is that this is on a new server! Still much work remains to be done. You will continue to see many errors, which are all known issues at this time.
Not a Member Yet? You're Missing Out!
Sign up in minutes for a free URC Network account and you'll be able to post in over 100+ forum categories, search over a decade of archived topics, exchange private messages with other members, upload pictures to the RC photo galleries, and much more!

Already have an account?
Sign in below!
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
Blaker - 4.14.13, 5:41 pm Post #1: | Reply With Quote
I am getting ready to start converting my T-Maxx 4908 in to a brushless machine. I would just like to get everyone's opinion on a brushless set up for it. I am sure that this has been covered before, but opinions as well as technology change quiet often and so that is why I feel the need to start a new thread for this question....

So far, I have narrowed down to three options.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m801-4074-2000kv.html
or
http://www.funshobby.com/index.php/p...IPPING%29.html
or
a hobbywing combo

which would you guys go with, i know the tacon doesnt come with an esc so i would have to buy one for it. OR would you suggest something completely different. I am open to all suggestions. I dont really want to buy more batteries so i plan on using my 2s batteries and running on 4s.
(2) 2.5 Rustlers
3.3 T-Maxx currently engineless, going to be replaced with something not a 3.3
Evader EXT2 converted to brushless of course
Jammin SCRT10 brushless hobbies 120amp esc/tacon 3660 4000kv
Losi MRC using stock chassis but otherwise practically completely custom
"Experienced user"
SRHBiGDawG - 4.15.13, 1:37 am Post #2: | Reply With Quote
i enjoy my tacon i have the 2800KV and the hobbywing 80a esc, i'm still running nihmz though.

still getting use to brushless power.. went from stock 550s lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT-Mx...MTj7pZDzT25coA
"Experienced user"
Blaker - 4.15.13, 4:21 pm Post #3: | Reply With Quote
SRHBiGDawG said
i enjoy my tacon i have the 2800KV and the hobbywing 80a esc, i'm still running nihmz though.

still getting use to brushless power.. went from stock 550s lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT-Mx...MTj7pZDzT25coA
I have two Tacon motors. I love both of them. I have one of the 4200kv (I think, maybe a 4000 or 4300 somewhere in that neighborhood) 380 motors in a 540 can on a duratrax evader, havent had any problems out of that motor at all... I also have a 3660 3800kv, again i think its 3800kv may be off a little bit, in my jammin scrt10 and i love it. It is every bit as quick and powerful as my buddies tenshock 401 in his hyper that i run with.... I have nothing but good experiences with tacon....But an 80a esc wouldnt stand a chance in a monster truck, 2800kv would be a little too high as well. Im thinking around 1800kv, give or take, and most likely a 150a esc.
(2) 2.5 Rustlers
"Experienced user"
spenniepoos - 4.15.13, 5:08 pm Post #4: | Reply With Quote
If you are going to run 4s go with the funshobby combo and get the 2100kv it will have a nice blend of torque and speed and still run 6s in the furture so its an easy choice......peace
Famous Last words ''Watch this''
"Experienced user"
SRHBiGDawG - 4.15.13, 8:19 pm Post #5: | Reply With Quote
hmm i've had no issues, but i've only ran the truck twice since installing the motor and esc and the second time i just totaled my front end still waiting on parts
"Experienced user"
Blaker - 4.15.13, 9:56 pm Post #6: | Reply With Quote
i didnt mean that your setup wouldnt work, maybe it did sound that way though. What I meant is that it wouldnt work for what I am going to do. I am planning on running 4s so I will need a considerably lower kv than what you are running. and with the size motor and amp draw I am going to be getting an 80a esc just wouldnt hold up.
(2) 2.5 Rustlers