Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Forums are in read-only mode while restoration work continues. The great news is that this is on a new server! Still much work remains to be done. You will continue to see many errors, which are all known issues at this time.
Not a Member Yet? You're Missing Out!
Sign up in minutes for a free URC Network account and you'll be able to post in over 100+ forum categories, search over a decade of archived topics, exchange private messages with other members, upload pictures to the RC photo galleries, and much more!

Already have an account?
Sign in below!
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
scottd1975 - 1.08.13, 4:58 pm Post #1: | Reply With Quote
Can you use Lipo batteries with a out of the box slash? If so what types and how big? What are cautions with using Lipo and stock brushed motor?

Can I use a onyx 200 quick charger with Lipo it's range is 4 to 7 cell and recharge rate of 1.5a to 5a
"Experienced user"
scottd1975 - 1.08.13, 5:36 pm Post #2: | Reply With Quote
Is 2s highest I can go with stock speed control and motor? Can I use a 10000 Lipo?
"Obstacle Magnet"
DrJVogel - 1.08.13, 5:54 pm Post #3: | Reply With Quote
I don't think the Onyx 200 charges LiPo batteries. If you have an XL-5 with a Titan (brushed) motor then a 2S LiPo is the battery to use. If you have the VXL-3S with a Velineon (brushless) motor then you can go up to 3S but I wouldn't bother. I very rarely use my 3S LiPo batteries.

As far as what LiPo battery to get, I would recommend the SPC LiPo 5000mAh 30C 2S for $28 TRX connector, better punch, less money, excellent customer support. http://www.specpointbatteries.com/in...?productID=125
radio-control-ophile
sometimes your RC rips up the dirt sometimes the dirt rips up your RC
"Experienced user"
scottd1975 - 1.08.13, 5:59 pm Post #4: | Reply With Quote
Sweet what fast charger do I get can Will easily charge the lipos? Can I get a 10000man?
"Obstacle Magnet"
DrJVogel - 1.08.13, 6:18 pm Post #5: | Reply With Quote
I dunno much about chargers. I have an expensive Hyperion model.

I wouldn't bother with an expensive charger or battery.

A GensAce 10,000 mAh battery will cost you $60. I have over a dozen GensAce packs, and I love them, but my next battery will be the SPC LiPo I mentioned before.

I would rather have two 5,000 mAh batteries than one 10,000. Why? After using up a 5,000 pack it's a good idea to give the RC a short rest and inspection. You know, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Also, you can charge one battery while running your RC with the other. With one battery, you have a long down time. When I want to run my RCs, I don't want to have to wait! I'm impatient. Also, should a battery fail, you are not without power for your RC.

Lastly, once you go LiPo, you probably will never use your NiMH battery again.
radio-control-ophile
"Experienced user"
scottd1975 - 1.08.13, 6:24 pm Post #6: | Reply With Quote
I don't really understand this balancing and weird charging rules of lipos
"Obstacle Magnet"
DrJVogel - 1.08.13, 6:30 pm Post #7: | Reply With Quote
Well, I think for more information on LiPo (e.g. safety, charging, storage, etc.), I think you will be better served in the URC section called General: Electric Motors, ESCs, batteries, etc.

LiPo batteries are very safe when handled responsibly. It may not be fun having to learn all this stuff, but running LiPo power in an RC makes it well worth that effort.
radio-control-ophile
"Experienced user"
scottd1975 - 1.08.13, 6:32 pm Post #8: | Reply With Quote
So basically my best bet is a 5000 2s Lipo? How much run time race style driving?
"Obstacle Magnet"
DrJVogel - 1.08.13, 6:41 pm Post #9: | Reply With Quote
I bash and race but it depends. I guess 40-60 minutes. Enough to put a smile on my face.
radio-control-ophile
"Experienced user"
scottd1975 - 1.08.13, 6:44 pm Post #10: | Reply With Quote
You do this on the stock motor?