Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Forums are in read-only mode while restoration work continues. The great news is that this is on a new server! Still much work remains to be done. You will continue to see many errors, which are all known issues at this time.
Not a Member Yet? You're Missing Out!
Sign up in minutes for a free URC Network account and you'll be able to post in over 100+ forum categories, search over a decade of archived topics, exchange private messages with other members, upload pictures to the RC photo galleries, and much more!

Already have an account?
Sign in below!
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
SlasherBasher98 - 1.03.13, 1:04 pm Post #11: | Reply With Quote
^^ Thank you alot, ill really be considering and just a question are you suppose to drain the whole lipo battery then charge it??
Love being young!!SPC For Life
Traxxas Slash VXL/Brother's Traxxas Bandit
DrJVogel said "I hate trees"
SlasherBasher98 said "I hate poles"
"Northern New Jersey"
Bunzo - 1.03.13, 1:10 pm Post #12: | Reply With Quote
No you do not wanna drain a lipo. You run a lipo till the Low Voltage protection steps in and powers down the esc. The lipo will still have 3.2 volts per cell( a 2s battery has 2 cells, 3s 3 cells and so on) Also you can charge a lipo battery at any time you dont need to run it till the low voltage protection turns on. Lipos dont have "memory" like NiMh
"Experienced user"
SlasherBasher98 - 1.03.13, 1:13 pm Post #13: | Reply With Quote
Ok so let me get this straight, you have to turn on the low voltage protection on the ESC then it will shut down the power when it get to the certain volts and you can charge battery even if you used it for like 10 minutes.
"Experienced user"
MooseKnuckle72 - 1.03.13, 1:56 pm Post #14: | Reply With Quote
SlasherBasher98 said
Ok so let me get this straight, you have to turn on the low voltage protection on the ESC then it will shut down the power when it get to the certain volts and you can charge battery even if you used it for like 10 minutes.
Well, you should get a lot longer than 10 mins run time off a LIPO. When you turn on the LVP the ESC will cut the throttle to 50% when you hit the low voltage. If you only run it 10 mins you should have at least that left in the battery (depending on how you're driving it.) Once it hits that low voltage then you can balance charge it. Wife got me the Thunder A6 charger that was linked earlier. Nice charger. Working well so far.
"Experienced user"
SlasherBasher98 - 1.03.13, 2:12 pm Post #15: | Reply With Quote
ok i get it know, thanks but how long do they run on a full charge?? and ive heard you have to store it on a half-charge, is that true?
"That doesn't look right, hmm"
LOSIFAN101 - 1.03.13, 2:26 pm Post #16: | Reply With Quote
SlasherBasher98 said
ok i get it know, thanks but how long do they run on a full charge?? and ive heard you have to store it on a half-charge, is that true?
They typically run for about 20-30 minutes depending on how you drive. You only have to storage a LiPo if you are storing it for over a month.
RCs: Axial Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon and SUMMIT 1/8
I'M CANADIAN EH.
theJANG said, "You Either Have a Summit, or You Don't."Well So Do I
Radio: Spektrum DX3C
"Experienced user"
purplestallion - 1.03.13, 2:51 pm Post #17: | Reply With Quote
Just wanted to pop in to put a good word in for the Thunder AC6. I've been using it for about a year and I've had no problems. I was in your place about a year ago debating whether I wanted to go Lipo early on, but I did and I haven't looked back.
"Experienced user"
SlasherBasher98 - 1.03.13, 4:03 pm Post #18: | Reply With Quote
ok thank you and the more milliamps the longer it will run correct?
"That doesn't look right, hmm"
LOSIFAN101 - 1.03.13, 4:27 pm Post #19: | Reply With Quote
Yes the more (please excuse this bad terminology) Mah the longer the run time.
RCs: Axial Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon and SUMMIT 1/8
I'M CANADIAN EH.
theJANG said, "You Either Have a Summit, or You Don't."Well So Do I
Radio: Spektrum DX3C
"Redneck Basher"
Prospect84 - 1.03.13, 4:27 pm Post #20: | Reply With Quote
I am running a 5000mah 25c Onyx Lipo in my slash, it's a Titan 12T 550 brushed motor, and the stock XL-5 ESC. I ran the stock 3000mah NiMH then put LVC on and ran the Lipo pack right after it. the amount of throttle response and burst power available with the Lipo is VERY noticable over the NiMH.

Also there is a "guide to all things Lipo" or something like that I found on these forums down in the battery section, it would do you well to spend a little time in that forum reading up on Lipo's. There are a TON fo them to choose from and knowing what you are buying is always a good idea~