Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Forums are in read-only mode while restoration work continues. The great news is that this is on a new server! Still much work remains to be done. You will continue to see many errors, which are all known issues at this time.
Not a Member Yet? You're Missing Out!
Sign up in minutes for a free URC Network account and you'll be able to post in over 100+ forum categories, search over a decade of archived topics, exchange private messages with other members, upload pictures to the RC photo galleries, and much more!

Already have an account?
Sign in below!
Sign in:
"rehsaB darykcaB"
bugoff75 - 12.25.12, 1:27 pm Post #51: | Reply With Quote
added 8th scale wheel adapters, 3 new batteries w/ a ONYX x2 charger, and a flo-tek body which won't be painted till sometime next year.
One of these days I do plan on fixing the rest of my fleet. Someday. Until then I'm gonna Bash my ECX Torment and Ruckus till theres nothing left. But I do miss Racing Nitro!!!
"rehsaB darykcaB"
bugoff75 - 1.06.13, 2:23 pm Post #52: | Reply With Quote
After a lot of abuse I can safely say the rear body post mod can take the worst anyone can throw at it! No signs of any damage or wear! I gotta give it up to the plastic that ECX uses cause it just bends with out breaking.
The eBay special steel driveshafts are worth every penny! Yes they show signs of wear and are NOT rebuild-able but for the price (equal to the full cost of Traxxas HD shafts) they have already lasted almost twice as long as the Traxxas HD shafts. The wear has caused some play but thats less then every other loose joint on the truck.
So over all I don't see myself replacing those shafts anytime soon, and I'd have to give them an A in every gradable category.
+ drop right in - no mod necessary.
+ no maintenance required
+ solid steel - can take any abuse
+ flawless use - no binding - no suspension issues
- NOT rebuild-able (will eventually wear out - eventually , sometime, maybe)
- not branded (no brand name)
One of these days I do plan on fixing the rest of my fleet. Someday. Until then I'm gonna Bash my ECX Torment and Ruckus till theres nothing left. But I do miss Racing Nitro!!!
"Experienced user"
jedimatae - 1.06.13, 3:35 pm Post #53: | Reply With Quote
I wish I would've had more patience when my drive shafts finally twisted. I had just dropped a Castle 1410, it was nighttime and I hadn't even had a chance to wind it up yet when one of the originals gave way. I saw your post and looked into them. It was either these, or the MIP X-duty Slash rears. I ended up going with the MIP because they had them at my LHS. They cost almost twice as much, and IMO don't look near as good as yours, but they work.

Now I just need to do something about the body post...
ECX Torment-Sidewinder Combo, Metal gears, MIP X-duty Slash rear CVDs
"rehsaB darykcaB"
bugoff75 - 1.08.13, 4:56 pm Post #54: | Reply With Quote
My last post listed the driveshafts as not rebuildable and they will eventually wear out. I just never expected that to be 3 packs later.
3 45min runs after my last post and a wicked wreck sliding across my yard from a full speed run down the street and up the curb left the truck on its lid (body post mod still going strong). Before I flipped it back on its wheel I did a once over to make sure nothing was broken. (5200mah lipo is a bit tall so I'm using a rubber band to hold it in place) Noticed one side of the driveshafts looked funny.

Went inside and took em apart, found two pins almost worn out. But was able to rebuild them!!!
I keep enough spare parts from every RC I've ever owned I have no idea what the roll pins were originally for but they were a perfect fit and are probably a stronger steel then the original ones.

Still gonna give em an A but now gotta list em as being rebuildable (sort-of)

Center pins a new one.
"your Loco friend from Baja"
steelfish - 1.08.13, 5:09 pm Post #55: | Reply With Quote
damn.. lasted just 3 packs?

they looked stronger than that
nice "save from the trash" mod since they were supposedly not rebuildable
Baja HB D8T-E **** Baja Nexx10sc *** Baja Wraith *** Baja Ruckus *** Baja Smash
Baja, Mexico
/ California, USA
"rehsaB darykcaB"
bugoff75 - 1.08.13, 6:57 pm Post #56: | Reply With Quote
3 runs from my previous post.

Been running em hard since the middle of October 2012.
"your Loco friend from Baja"
steelfish - 1.08.13, 7:50 pm Post #57: | Reply With Quote
Ok that's better
Baja HB D8T-E **** Baja Nexx10sc *** Baja Wraith *** Baja Ruckus *** Baja Smash
Baja, Mexico
/ California, USA
"Experienced user"
mleunc - 1.09.13, 2:02 pm Post #58: | Reply With Quote
I bought some off ebay in anticpation of upgrading before going brushless, from one of the guys selling out of New York. I wish I would have saved the info, but while I was searching ebay one of the places selling these "no name" drive shafts had some replacement yokes(I think that's what they're called). Prob could find them again with some ebay searching.
T-ville, NC

ECX Ruckus: Hobbywing SC8/3500kv and many other mods
"rehsaB darykcaB"
bugoff75 - 2.09.13, 4:22 pm Post #59: | Reply With Quote
So as to not post in a new topic or beat a dead horse, If a Duratrax Element 3900kv system totally kills old OE ECX and VXL Traxxas plastic drive shafts? (and puts a real hurting on steel shafts) Whats a Castle Sidewinder SCT 3800kv system gonna do to regular Slash driveshafts? Just put that system in my sons Slash, so Totally worth it. My yard is a mess cause it literally tore it up. Just wish I could use the motor fan that comes with the system.
"rehsaB darykcaB"
bugoff75 - 2.13.13, 7:08 am Post #60: | Reply With Quote

Cleaned up my wiring mess, added a Velcro battery strap and covered the joints on the driveshafts with shrink wrap. while doing that I replaced one pin with a new one on the RR outer, after two packs it worked loose and tore the shrink wrap up. This time around I used a roll pin which has a much tighter fit (had to use pliers to force it in) then tightened it down with the set screw. Last time I broke one of my Integy wrenches so I don't think I went tight enough with the set screw after the first rebuild.

Oh and a few too many wheelies at high speed, dragging the body, I finally had a rear body post issue. Lost one of the pins that hold it in place. Replaced it and no more problems. My mod is holding up well to all of the abuse.