Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Forums are in read-only mode while restoration work continues. The great news is that this is on a new server! Still much work remains to be done. You will continue to see many errors, which are all known issues at this time.
Not a Member Yet? You're Missing Out!
Sign up in minutes for a free URC Network account and you'll be able to post in over 100+ forum categories, search over a decade of archived topics, exchange private messages with other members, upload pictures to the RC photo galleries, and much more!

Already have an account?
Sign in below!
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
CFoote - 2.01.12, 7:54 pm Post #1: | Reply With Quote
Hey guys,

New Slash owner here. I started with a 4x4 rolling chassis and built it up from there. After a lot of research I figured out that I wanted a Slash with larger tires and E-Maxx body to accomodate those tires. I figured this was a nice combination and I could always go back to the smaller wheels/tires when I get bored of this configuration...

Without further ado here is my setup. I know there's nothing new to see here but I thought it might help out anyone looking to do a similar configuration.

Motor is a Castle 1410/3800kv and a Mamba Max Pro SCT. Pinion is a 15T, right now its winter and its running OK but will watch temps carefully as Spring/Summer hits.

Tires are the super awesome Pro-Line Trenchers running on factory Traxxas 2.8" wheels from a Stampede. I glued the tires onto the Stampede wheels -- my first time doing so, and they are working out great!

In order to make the E-Maxx body mount with the stock E-Maxx holes (I really didn't want to re-drill holes on the body, its just too nice to do that) I had to move the mounts around. In the pics you'll see that I moved both the front and rear mounts in towards the center of each mounting arm. In the rear I used the stock mounts (stock height), and the front I purchased a set of Duratax 2.5" posts to mount up front.

It came out pretty good for a first timer! I am sure there will have to be some slight trimming around the wheel wells but I'll deal with that as necessary.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	truck1.jpg
Views:	1164
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	31035  Click image for larger version

Name:	truck2.jpg
Views:	1303
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	31036  Click image for larger version

Name:	truck3.jpg
Views:	1124
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	31037  Click image for larger version

Name:	mountsrear.jpg
Views:	831
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	31038  Click image for larger version

Name:	mountsfront.jpg
Views:	693
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	31039  
(Last edited by CFoote : 2.01.12 at 8:00 pm)
Slash 4x4 with Castle MMP, Castle 1410, Gens Ace 2s 40C 5000Mah batteries, 15T pinion, Futaba S3305 servo, Pro-Line Trenchers on 2.8 Stampede wheels. Futaba 4PL to control it all...
"real M/T's have solid axles"
andymac0035 - 2.01.12, 8:15 pm Post #2: | Reply With Quote
That came out nice!
I've been thinking of doing one of these as well.
Terminator race-clod, Slash LCG, Slash 2WD, Rustler VXL
"Experienced user"
zkeys29 - 2.02.12, 11:46 am Post #3: | Reply With Quote
That is pretty slick. Good job!!
"Experienced user"
beefdog - 2.02.12, 12:05 pm Post #4: | Reply With Quote
Love it CFoote!

I tried basically same concept with the Proline Bug Body. I absolutley love it.

I hope you don't mind if I post my pics in your thread. Right now I have a castle sv2 systems and tacon 2600 kv 3660 motor. I run 14t when it is cool, 12t when it is warm and 11t when I want to wheelie.

The only other thing I would say is it looks like you have stock axles - you might want to start saving for upgrades. With the 2.8 trenchers they don't last long.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bug 1.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	31055  Click image for larger version

Name:	buggy2.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	31056  
Losi 1/24th micro rally and sct, P4DE Trail Truck, Vaterra Kalahari, Gravedigger stampede, xxx sct
"Experienced user"
Autophysn - 2.03.12, 6:14 am Post #5: | Reply With Quote
Very cool! Similar to what I have done, but not knowing anything about these, I think I blew my VXL system with the bigger tires. Are you happy with that casstle set up for bashing?
"Experienced user"
CFoote - 2.03.12, 12:14 pm Post #6: | Reply With Quote
beefdog said
Love it CFoote!

I tried basically same concept with the Proline Bug Body. I absolutley love it.

I hope you don't mind if I post my pics in your thread. Right now I have a castle sv2 systems and tacon 2600 kv 3660 motor. I run 14t when it is cool, 12t when it is warm and 11t when I want to wheelie.

The only other thing I would say is it looks like you have stock axles - you might want to start saving for upgrades. With the 2.8 trenchers they don't last long.

That Bug body looks really cool! I might have to try that body at some point, nice fit!

I agree about the axles -- they are indeed stock. What are most people running these days? I think I saw some complete units for $75 bucks a pair? Pricey but if they don't break I suppose its worth it...

I agree these Trenchers are GREAT tires, I just hope the tires last a little bit! I admit I run on the street a lot...

Chris
Slash 4x4 with Castle MMP, Castle 1410, Gens Ace 2s 40C 5000Mah batteries, 15T pinion, Futaba S3305 servo, Pro-Line Trenchers on 2.8 Stampede wheels. Futaba 4PL to control it all...
"Experienced user"
CFoote - 2.03.12, 12:17 pm Post #7: | Reply With Quote
Autophysn said
Very cool! Similar to what I have done, but not knowing anything about these, I think I blew my VXL system with the bigger tires. Are you happy with that casstle set up for bashing?
The Castle system is really, really nice. Be aware that Castle has a lot of configurations. If you have a Slash 4x4, then you'll want the system that comes with the 1410 3800kv motor. Tower had a huge sale on the Speed Control/Motor combo a few weeks ago (it was down to something like $144 bucks!) but keep an eye on prices from the various shops. The ability to adjust the speed control is really nice (you'll need an option "CastleLink" card/cable to do that, $25).

I never tried the VXL system as I had a rolling chassis that was purchased without an electronic goodies, but I can tell you with a 15T pinion this thing MOVES...lots and lots of torque. You will find the torque between the Traxxas motor and Castle to be huge. If you just replace the speed control you'll find the flexibility of the Castle to be nice. Just be sure to get the right motor/speed control combo as Castle sells lots of different combinations.

Chris
"Experienced user"
beefdog - 2.03.12, 12:54 pm Post #8: | Reply With Quote
I have the teckno rc cvd's all the way around I am not in love with them although the are sturdy, easy to install, and never had trouble, there is not a lot of engagement in the rear cups. I have had to limit my downtravel which means I had to chop the fenders off the bug body. I would probably do mip if I had to do ut over. My friend tried the venom axles, and they broke the first use.

I am thinking about getting the ford truck emaxx body.

I think the sv2 has enough power for me. With the 3660 2600 kv I have way more torque then stock but it is slower.
Losi 1/24th micro rally and sct, P4DE Trail Truck, Vaterra Kalahari, Gravedigger stampede, xxx sct
"Regular user"
Xslash insanity - 2.03.12, 1:25 pm Post #9: | Reply With Quote
I run this body with 2.8 trenchers.
Chassis just barely pokes out below the sides, but there is no "gap" like on the 'pede 4x4. To mount an MT body, I recommend reversing a 'pede 4x4 mount.
"Experienced user"
Autophysn - 2.05.12, 2:52 am Post #10: | Reply With Quote
CFoote said
The Castle system is really, really nice. Be aware that Castle has a lot of configurations. If you have a Slash 4x4, then you'll want the system that comes with the 1410 3800kv motor. Tower had a huge sale on the Speed Control/Motor combo a few weeks ago (it was down to something like $144 bucks!) but keep an eye on prices from the various shops. The ability to adjust the speed control is really nice (you'll need an option "CastleLink" card/cable to do that, $25).

I never tried the VXL system as I had a rolling chassis that was purchased without an electronic goodies, but I can tell you with a 15T pinion this thing MOVES...lots and lots of torque. You will find the torque between the Traxxas motor and Castle to be huge. If you just replace the speed control you'll find the flexibility of the Castle to be nice. Just be sure to get the right motor/speed control combo as Castle sells lots of different combinations.

Chris
Thank you Chris, That is actually the exact info I have been looking for. I now know what my replacement esc/motor combo will be. Awesome truck you have!
Thanks again!