Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Forums are in read-only mode while restoration work continues. The great news is that this is on a new server! Still much work remains to be done. You will continue to see many errors, which are all known issues at this time.
Not a Member Yet? You're Missing Out!
Sign up in minutes for a free URC Network account and you'll be able to post in over 100+ forum categories, search over a decade of archived topics, exchange private messages with other members, upload pictures to the RC photo galleries, and much more!

Already have an account?
Sign in below!
Sign in:
"BOOSH!"
Shark Fighter - 4.11.10, 9:32 pm Post #1: | Reply With Quote
I bought a Velineon Brushless motor and esc on 1/31/10. I returned the first one on 2/22/10 because it sounded like the bearings had started to come undone.The motor started to sound crunchy. So around March 10th I got the new one in the mail and here it is a little over a month later and my motor locked up completely. I can see the shaft out of the motor is kicked off to one side and the bearings have come loose. Am I doing something wrong or are these motors junk? I check my temps, at 170 degrees I shut it down and my meshing on the spur and pinion gear is not too tight. My sons truck has a super cheap ez run brushless system in it and it runs great. And has anyone used the Dynamite Fuze motor? I was thinking of getting just the motor as a back up but I can not find a review on the 3300 kv motor any where.
Thanks in advance guys!
"Checkers or Wreckers"
208BrAnDo - 4.11.10, 9:51 pm Post #2: | Reply With Quote
Ive been running the same Velineon motor for 8 months or so, without a single problem. I dont know what you could be doing "wrong", maybe its just bad luck. idk, sorry to hear it though. Down time sucks!!

No experience with the Dynamite here.

Good luck
Look, Pedro... I don't know how they do things down in Juarez, but here in Idaho we have a little something called pride. Understand?
HEXCREWS.com TEAM DRIVER... check em out for the highest quality hardware for your RC's.
Co-Owner of BoneheadRC.com
(largest RC glossary on the webs!)
(URC Founder)
"Dory, Hunky"
theJANG - 4.11.10, 11:23 pm Post #3: | Reply With Quote
The Velineon motor is top quality and durable. What exactly do you mean by "at 170 degrees I shut it down?" It sounds like you would regularly run it until it hit that temperature and then stop.
Please do not PM (privately message) me or directly address forum threads towards me with questions that can be answered by the rest of the URC community. Most questions asked of me directly can be answered sooner & better by the URC community.

Due to circumstances beyond my control, I can only respond to important urgent, business-related, or security-related private messages. I cannot give personal diagnostic or product advice via PM. Please utilize the tremendous resource that is the entire URC community. Thank you for your understanding.
"BOOSH!"
Shark Fighter - 4.12.10, 9:44 am Post #4: | Reply With Quote
My temps are normally around 150 on average,what I meant was if the motor starts to run at a higher temp(no higher than 170) I will stop running it and let it cool down. Am I doing something wrong by allowing it to get to a max of 170. Because the guy at my LHS said to stop if got to 180 and let it rest. By the way I am running 15 pinion and 86 spur on 2s & 3s lipos in loamy conditions.What temps do you run on average?
"Experienced user"
MajorPede - 4.12.10, 1:36 pm Post #5: | Reply With Quote
How long does it take you to reach 170. I'm running 23/86, 3 cell lipo (in a Stampede with big tires) on pavement/dirt mix and it takes about 15 to 20 mins to see 165 to 170 temps. I was going to go to 20/90 to get the temps down some.

I don't have a ton of experience with this motor but if your running just as hot as I am then ma bee your under gearing it. The tires on my son's Slash's are alot smaller than my Pedes tires. And with all that extra tire and aluminum our trucks are close in weight.

Hay 208BrAnDo What gearing do you run?
Oldman
(URC Founder)
"Dory, Hunky"
theJANG - 4.12.10, 2:07 pm Post #6: | Reply With Quote
Your motor shouldn't ever get too hot for comfort when you're driving it. If it does, you're overgeared. You should never need to stop & let your motor cool down before running again.
Please do not PM (privately message) me or directly address forum threads towards me with questions that can be answered by the rest of the URC community. Most questions asked of me directly can be answered sooner & better by the URC community.

Due to circumstances beyond my control, I can only respond to important urgent, business-related, or security-related private messages. I cannot give personal diagnostic or product advice via PM. Please utilize the tremendous resource that is the entire URC community. Thank you for your understanding.
"BOOSH!"
Shark Fighter - 4.12.10, 2:27 pm Post #7: | Reply With Quote
Since I started running 15/86 gears my temps don't get above 150. Do you think having such a low pinion gear (15) puts undo wear and tear on the motor from the amount of torque?
(URC Founder)
"Dory, Hunky"
theJANG - 4.12.10, 2:43 pm Post #8: | Reply With Quote
Nope not at all. Something's wrong with your truck though if you need to gear that low with the Velineon. Something must be bound up in your drivetrain. Seized bearings in the transmission, something. You should do a tear-down.

"BOOSH!"
Shark Fighter - 4.12.10, 2:59 pm Post #9: | Reply With Quote
I will do that asap and let you know. How often do you tear down and maintain your tranny? Thanks again Jang your advice is that of a Jedi!
(URC Founder)
"Dory, Hunky"
theJANG - 4.12.10, 3:14 pm Post #10: | Reply With Quote
I might rebuild a 2WD transmission a couple times a year. I go kinda easy on my vehicles, though. I hate breaking things